The Farrer P&C invite interested applicants to submit an expression of interest for the role of Canteen Manager for the 2018 school year.
Farrer's Canteen Manager is a challenging and rewarding role. The school canteen plays a vital role at our school, ensuring our kids (and teachers) are well fed and ready to learn. Apart from teaching kids about managing money and making purchases, The Kids Kitchen also introduces kids to different foods and flavours, providing fresh, hot and cold food that can't be transported easily in a lunch box. The Kids' Kitchen also provides opportunities for students to learn how their effort in the environment centre garden can produce their lunch, and for senior students to learn hospitality skills.
The role requires the following skills and capabilities:
- Get to know our kids, parents and teacher's individual needs. Understand and respect the different dietary needs of our community, from vegetarian to halal. Be sensitive to the sensory and anxiety issues some students have with food.
- Ability to devise a creative and engaging menu, with a practical and sensible approach to implementing the "healthy food guidelines" and the ACT Education Food and Drink policy.
- Sound multi- tasking and logistical skills, or the ability to organise and deliver over 70 lunch orders on a Friday in two and a half hours, and the following week organise 300 hotdogs for an end of year meal deal.
- Be responsible and aware, maintaining a clean and safe work environment for self, volunteers and staff.
- Understanding of the business side of the Canteen, pricing, margin and profitability.
- Ability to maintain secure financial practices, safeguarding money, ordering and making payments promptly to suppliers. Manage transactions with our online ordering supplier, School24.
- Engage the community with positive people skills. The Canteen Manager engages regularly with school staff, community members, students, OSH club as well as suppliers, Canteen staff and volunteers.
- Represent the Farrer School Community Association and embody the values of Farrer Primary - honesty, excellence, fairness, respect and persistence.
Currently, the Canteen Manager role is a casual role, working 18 hours per week Wednesdays to Fridays during school terms only, under the Fast Food Award Wage level 3. This role may suite an individual or a team that may wish to job share. The committee are open to new ideas and flexible approaches.
- Certificate in Food Preparation
- Working with Vulnerable People Card.
Farrer P&C can assist with organising appropriate basic training and certificates. Additional training can be organised via Heathy Kids Australia.
If you are interested in this role, please submit an expression of interest (no more than one page) outlining some information about your background, experience and why you are interested in applying for the role of Canteen Manager. Email firstname.lastname@example.org before December 20th, 2017.
Please direct any queries to the P&C President, Kirsty McGovern-Hooley on 0406 378 540.