Primary purpose of position
The Technology Planning Manager is accountable for establishing and implementing an effective Agency wide integrated schedule and approach to project and program scheduling and dependency management, ensuring that scheduling standards are applied consistently across all projects in the portfolio.
The role is also required to manage the front-door review process, ensuring oversight of schedules and developing metrics on the health of the schedules within the Agency. The role provides scheduling expertise to programs, identifies dependencies between programs and ensures the co-ordination of the resolution to any conflicts between programs.
The Technology Planning Manager will provide a range of experience, knowledge and skills, including, but not limited to:
- Leading the development and maintenance of an integrated Master Schedule, in coordination with the Project Managers
- Provide schedule management guidance and support to the Project Managers, including in the development of the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and in identifying intra-program dependencies, schedule risk and issues
- Translate projected forecasts, incoming volume, and work scopes into a production plan with a time-phased build schedule
- Ensure all aspects of the project's multiple timelines are accurately captured, maintained, analysed and coordinated
- Validate program approach, staffing, responsibilities, and schedule.
- Define and/or adhere to project control standards
- Develop and/or review estimates and estimating assumptions for the project's schedule
- Determine integration points and dependencies
- Consider opportunities to optimise the schedule
- Measure and monitor progress against the plan to provide informed project reporting.
- Identify variances from the original plan
- Ensure project plans and changes to schedules commitment are communicated
- Participate in quality and/or project control management reviews
- Participate in governance meetings
- Develop frameworks and implement them across program
- Provide reporting, insights and briefings for senior leadership and executive stakeholders.
- Advise program leadership of risk and scheduling management approaches and best-practice measures
To be successful in the role, you will have:
Knowledge and Skills
- Proven experience and ability around complex Program Scheduling / Master Scheduling
- Skilled in the development, provision, and/or management of the success of metrics
- Experience in defining, implementing, and maintaining project control related tasks, including integration with project accounting/costing function
- Demonstrable ability to develop project plans, schedules, requirements documentation, test plans and associated documentation, and to measure and monitor project and resource performance against agreed plans.
- Experienced in best practice project management methodologies and toolsets including advanced skills & expertise using Microsoft Project
- Understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (i.e. Agile, Waterfall) and ICT governance frameworks
- Strong understanding of dependency management
- Strategic thinker, strong analytical skills, able to synthesize considerable and complex data
- Exceptional interpersonal, presentation, written and oral communication skills with an outstanding ability to lead and influence stakeholders
- Experience in Portfolio Management Office or similar function, use of Project, Program and Portfolio methodologies (e.g. Prince 2 and PMBoK) and building schedules, base lining, allocating roles/resources, construction of WBS's, tracking critical path, exporting/importing schedules between scheduling tools and generating reports scheduling toolset
- Experience in the development and establishment of scheduling and dependency management processes and standards
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills in dealing with key stakeholders including senior management, customers, consultants, contractors, regulators and committees
- Demonstrated experience in managing all documents, policies and procedures, standards and specifications.
- Experience in developing strategies, analysis, and efficiency improvements
Project Management qualifications are preferred, but not essential. A successful track record of supporting delivery for complex programs and high integrity will be the most important factors.
For more information or to apply, please contact Carissa Burgos on 02 9137 8700 quoting Job Reference: 239794