About the Role
The Mapping Geologist-3D Geological Modeller will be required to: 1) produce a layered seamless geology dataset in GIS, with relevant associated data tables; 2) extract, compile and interpret depth estimates from available geological, geophysical, geochemical and drilling data to map the geology under cover; 3) compile depth estimates into corporate relational databases. The role will also involve modelling depth surfaces using 3D modelling software and machine learning to produce a layered depth to cover model.
To be successful in the role, you will:
- Read, extract, interpret and summarise key geological, lithological and other information for geological rock units of Australia from geophysical data, geological maps, reports and publications; Capture such data into relevant relational databases;
- Develop working relationships with the team and other parts of the organisation;
- Be prepared to work with limited supervision, and to seek advice from colleagues where necessary;
- Aid the team in general activities to progress the project. These may include: reviewing and editing documents, meetings, stakeholder communication including with other partners;
- Writing/contributing to scientific documents and reports.
- A minimum requirement for a degree in geology or suitably equivalent tertiary qualification.
- Prior experience working in Australian geological terranes and geological field mapping is preferred but not essential. In addition, the contractor should have:
- Experience in field geological mapping and geological research, especially conducting literature reviews and data mining from a variety of geological and geochemical resources;
- Advanced GIS skills and experience with geological mapping, including the use of various other geoscience data (e.g., geophysical, drilling data) in constructing 2D and 3D geological maps is highly desirable;
- Experience in databases management and SQL will be looked on favourably;
- Knowledge of and experience with use of stratigraphic nomenclature for geological units;
- Familiarity with scientific programming (e.g. python) and experience in 3D geological modelling;
- Have skills and success in working in multidisciplinary teams, yet also be able to work under minimal supervision or guidance.
For more information or to apply, please contact Smilin John on 02 6268 9720 quoting Job Reference: 213654