The primary purpose of the role is to lead the portfolio reporting function for the Directorate including management of all key external reporting on program and project performance data across the areas of cost, time and performance. The role also interprets trends, problem areas and opportunities from the data gathered from financial and other business systems used by the Directorate
- Manage the Directorate portfolio reporting function including collecting, maintaining, analysing, validating and distributing program and project performance data across the areas of cost, time and performance.
- Design reports to accommodate various reporting needs for internal stakeholders and external stakeholders ensuring consistent reporting across all stakeholders.
- Manage recurring reporting deliverables (having weekly, monthly, quarterly, 6-monthly and annual reporting cycles) including ad-hoc reporting requests.
- Interpret trends, problem areas and opportunities from the data gathered from financial and other business systems used by the division.
- Undertake in-depth analysis of cost, time and performance data captured in current systems to identify emerging trends, problem areas and opportunities within project and program performance in more than just financial aspects.
- Implement the use of Business Intelligence tools, to capture key information and to inform portfolio reporting.
- Carry out formal program health checks to provide independent performance analysis and recommendations to the program managers and program directors
- Assist in defining and developing reporting strategies and contribute to reporting solutions for business strategy and program/project decision makers. Liaise with the program/project lead, team members and others regarding the status and performance of programs/projects.
- Ensure the accuracy of all reports that are generated and the integrity of the databases used
- Manage the collection, analysis and dissemination from various sources to produce cyclic and ad hoc reports on programs and projects for management, board and VMC meetings.
- Coordinate the review and update of documents as required to maintain accuracy and provide tracking and version control
- Arrange publishing and/or distribution of approved documents in the necessary format
- Work with program and project managers to establish and implement plans to address areas of project performance risk.
- Execute safety responsibilities, authorities and accountabilities consistent with\safety management system requirements which are defined in SMS document number SMS-02-RG-3058.
- Ensure that staff are competent and confident to perform their role and provide effective coaching and leadership to maintain high standards of staff performance and support succession planning. Take appropriate action to correct poor performance of staff.
Understand the competency set required for each individual and the team as a whole
Articulating the competency standards and performance levels of individuals and the team as a whole
Implement capability delivery solutions within own team once finalised
Comply with skills and competency audit requirements and undertake role based Skills and Competency evaluation and assessment
Provide staff as required by the Service Provider
Monitoring, Reporting and Evaluation
Monitor capability solutions for desired effect and impact on individual and the team as a whole
Operate within the new governance model and continue with business as usual activities as required
Meet with senior management and the service provider and communicate regularly as to the progress of capability development deliverables
Ensure the coordination of Competency Assurance assessments and related activities meet operating requirements and are in accordance with regulations, standards and assessment cycles
Ensure compliance with competency standards
Raise any risks and issues with the Service Provider and monitor resolution
Ensure that reports are provided to senior Management when issues arise or there is a deviation from the agreed schedule
Maintain accurate data and record keeping, validation and quality checking
Make alternative solution recommendations if current significant initiatives have a negative effect on the business,
Ensure compliance with risk based development needs analysis
Translate capability solutions into 'on the job' team performance improvement - ensure that capability solutions are applied on the job
Report and evaluate service provider delivery as required
Provide input as required to determine that the stated deliverables, outcomes and requirements of the Service Provider are delivered and carried out to the highest standard of quality, efficiency, effectiveness, on time and to budget
Performance Management and Development
Lead, coach, support and performance manage the team to achieve results
Translate capability solutions into 'on the job' team performance and improvement
Lead regular development needs analysis as required for teams
Promote high performance teams and a high performance and accountable culture
Prioritise the addressing of capability requirements
Monitor effectiveness, (competence and confidence) of employees post training and assessment
Promote high performance teams and a high performance and accountable culture by utilising Visual Management Cells (VMC's) Balanced Score Cards and Development Tools.
- Certificate IV in Project Management (or equivalent) or 5 years' experience working in project environments in construction, transport, rail or infrastructure
- Strong experience in conducting program and portfolio reviews and the development of rectification plans
- Extensive experience in trend and analysis reporting including the ability to base decisions on facts and figures and critically evaluate information and data from various sources with a high attention to detail.
- Extensive skills and experience in the design, development, use and maintenance of databases and Business Intelligence tools.
- High level strategic thinking and analytical skills and strong experience in using both MS Excel, including the ability to use pivots and compare data from multiple sources, and MS Word, including working with document templates, administrative toolsets and reporting systems
- Sound knowledge of project management principles and their application in a Program environment.