Database Systems Specialist - Azure
The Database Systems Specialist is responsible for providing support and development (where required) expertise for Database platforms. This role will ensure that key technologies within the organisation operate in a reliable and efficient manner. The role also provides, on demand, support and development work for projects.
Require an experienced Database Administrator with advanced skills in MS SQL Server (versions 2008, 2012, 2014 and 2016). Experience with Microsoft Azure is essential. Proven ability and experience in performing migrations from on-premise servers to Azure cloud PAAS and IAAS offerings is necessary. Additional capabilities in handling routine Database administrative and support tasks is important and familiarity with Oracle would be desirable.
- Actively participate in Operational Support activities of all environments including on-call (Production only), incident management, problem management, change management, configuration management, monitoring, implementation
- Identify areas of impact by assessing release notes and other documentation for patches as required
- Raise and work through support calls with vendors of the supported systems
- Implementation of patches and bug fixes to ensure system stability and performance
- Design, Develop, Test and Promote solutions for new or changed requirements as received in line with team prioritisation, scheduling and development life cycle controls and processes
- Use of appropriate Defect and Request Management frameworks and tools to accurately record and manage defects.
- Develop, test and execute implementation plans for releases through all supported environments
- Understand and develop security controls implemented within the supported systems ensuring that business is not exposed to unnecessary risk
- Provide reporting for Management on the performance and reliability of supported systems
- Promote the use of automation controls for management of development, release and support activities
Advanced Diploma of Computer Systems Technology or demonstrated capability through past employment experience and/or relevant qualifications. Desirably an ITIL Certification and Project Management Certification.
- Extensive experience in a similar role in an ICT environment
- Practical experience in designing, deploying and operating complex ICT systems determined by area (Integration, Reporting, Database Systems)
- Practical experience in the use of enterprise helpdesk software
- Practical experience with enterprise Incident, Request, Configuration and Change management software
- Practical experience in providing customer and operational support services in a large enterprise
- Practical experience in driving business improvement and increases in efficiencies
- Working knowledge of software relevant to the ICT systems determined by area (Integration, Reporting, Database Systems)
- Ability to think and act in an innovative and strategic manner within contemporary ICT frameworks
- Ability to accept responsibilities and accountabilities and be focused on delivering outcomes to meet the wider team objectives
- Excellent written and verbal skills in order to prepare documentation and socialise the outcomes with relevant areas of the business including senior management
- Excellent stakeholder and relationship management skills including the ability to liaise effectively with a broad range of people from diverse backgrounds
- Strong organisational skills in order to manage and implement large, complex and varying workloads and initiatives delivering continuous business improvement.