The Lead Cloud Engineer is accountable for the run of all the Cloud infrastructure services including IaaS, PaaS and associated technologies.
Key accountabilities of this role
- Manage the creation, delivery and lifecycle of Cloud (IaaS & PaaS) services to meet business requirements.
- Lead a blended insourced and outsourced team to ensure that cloud services are operated to expected outcomes, including adherence to SLA's, capacity and resource management and maintenance within service delivery and other IT methodologies and frameworks.
- Partner with business and technology leaders to build an environment for continuous improvement of cloud infrastructure services aligned to business and technology requirement drivers, and industry thought leadership
- Build, lead and foster a positive culture where internal and external resources are engaged and aligned to the the business strategy to achieve prioritised project and operational outcomes.
- Manage partners to contractual terms and SLAs, creating improved partner value above base T&C's and budget
- Work with teams and partners incorporating New Ways of Working, collaborate with teams and partners to optimise business outcomes
- Financial acumen to assist in cloud service cost estimates, forecasts, tracking, optimization, and chargeback/showback
- Encourage and value the diversity in the workplace, upholding the business's inclusive workplace culture.
- Encourage the sharing of skills and experience and contribute to the success of the business at all levels, in a way that is vital and authentic.
Qualifications, key skills and experience required
- Exceptional organisational skills, the ability to prioritise and multi task; whilst dealing with ambiguity
- Experience in management of public cloud services (eg. IaaS/PaaS, Automation, etc)
- Experience in Cloud Platforms, including but not exclusively;
- Cloud Architecture best practices
- Understanding of DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering principals
- The ability to understand complex environments
- Key cloud concepts (tagging, power management, right sizing, templates, cost management)
- Azure PaaS services and containerization solutions
- Proven leadership experience in building and leading a team through a period of significant change
- Experience implementing automation and infrastructure-as-code solutions such as Terraform, Azure DevOps, ARM templates, DSC, Ansible, etc
- Conduct meetings with stakeholders, understanding technology and business outcomes
- Monitor and report on service/operational performance (including associated technologies such as Splunk, Azure Monitor, Power BI)
- Escalation point in relation to process or service failures
- Champion of Enterprise Technology processes and their implementation
- This role is also expected to have a level of knowledge and experience to act as "trusted advisor" in recommending improvements to operational activities that will enhance service robustness and reliability
- Highly developed communication, facilitation, presentation and reporting skills
- Highly developed mentoring and coaching skills
- Highly developed project and change management skills
- Advanced analytical problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work flexibly and manage competing priorities efficiently and effectively
- Relevant qualifications in Information Technology and Management as well as Cloud
- Experience and keen skills in managing in an outsourced IT vendor model
Budget accountability & decision-making authority
The Lead Cloud Engineer will assist in the management of Cloud Operational budgets.
Key stakeholders & nature of relationships
This role must effectively engage with a broad range of stakeholders across the organization building effective collaborative relationships. They must form strong partnerships with technology peers across the enterprise to enable the effective delivery of cloud services to the business. They will be required to confidently interact and present in a strong, concise and effective manner across all levels of the organisation.